We give you a sneak peek at the inside world of a travel agency. Learn about new products and destinations, tips for saving money, industry news and product reviews!

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

London - Trip Review

As I mentioned in my previous post, I just got back from a trip to England. Five days were spent doing a work thing - but four precious days were spent in London. And I fall in love - with the city!

First things - I had a GREAT hotel. I know that maybe some people don't put a lot a weight on where you sleep, but I have stayed in far too many horrible and characterless rooms that I actually think a great hotel room is KEY to a good vacation. It sets the mood for the trip, it is your haven to come home to after a great day or better when you've had a terrible day.

My hotel was perfect. It was called the Apex City Hotel and it is just on the edge of "The City" part of London about a block from the Thames. Because I was there on the weekend, I got a super rate (around $150 Can per night - which is a steal in London) and the area was nice and quiet. The rooms have DVD players so that you can catch a movie instead of watching bad TV at night, the bathtubs are heavenly and have these cute little rubber ducks you can take home with you, and there are free papers to read in the morning. I didn't get a chance to check out the steam room (it was unusually warm in London) but on a rainy fall day, it would be awesome I think.

Location, location, location. A short walk to the Tube, the Tower of London (where you can hook into the tourist infrastructure of London), the Tower Bridge (one of the most recognizable and beautiful bridges in the world), and a nice walk along the Thames to restaurants, museums, bars, and shops.

The thing I loved so much about London was how visually exciting the city is. In one glance you can see so many forms of interesting architecture from centuries old to cutting edge modern. I loved the different neighbourhoods and once you get a feel for the city, it is surprisingly intimate.

I was a bit intimidated by the idea of visiting the city when I first planned to go there. There is simply so much to see and do. The first thing I would recommend, even though it is cheesy, is to take one of those double decker tourist bus tours. We grabbed tickets at the Tower of London and spent a couple of hours driving through the city. You see all the major sights but maybe more importantly you get a feel for where things are and how close you are to them.

I didn't have much time for the museums, but managed to hit the Tate Modern. It was great. Definitely plan to go up to the seventh floor and grab a glass of wine and enjoy the view of the Thames and Notre Dame Cathedral. Its breathtaking. Also, if you are more adventurous, then head out to the Brick Lane for some Indian food. I also recommend a walk through Notting Hill and maybe stopping at an outdoor cafe for coffee.

In general, I found London an amazing bustling and vibrant city. I am already planning my next getaway there. London is a competitive market so there are really reasonable flights including some great charter options. As I mentioned, if you plan on being there over a weekend you can pick up some great hotel bargains as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home